*BACKUP - FOR REFERENCE ONLY*  Married and Always Nagged Warhawk & COD4 Forums Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    *BACKUP - FOR REFERENCE ONLY* Married and Always Nagged Warhawk & COD4 Forums Forum Index » Warhawk General Discussion View previous topic
View next topic
How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating.
Author Message
va_bank
Major


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 135

Post How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating. Reply with quote
There has been a lot of talk over at PSU forums (and sometimes here) about people on Warhawk leaderboards. How does one have so many points? Are they all "stat padders"? My research says no.

I wanted to get a Meritorious Service medal, but only had 25 flag captures. All I ever do is fight - I rarely go for the flag. So I wanted to get 75 more flag caps without spending another 600 hours. Then I discovered Player Ranked CTF servers with no score limit. That's where I started seeing all those guys who are on top of Warhawk leaderboards. Their scores are now making perfect sense.

The secret is that once one team gains a 3-4 flag advantage, the losing teams loses momentum and morale. Those games end in scores such as 25-0 or more (most I've seen was 43-2). In one of these games I scored 15 flag captures IAR, plus killing some people. My score for the round was over 500 points after the ribbons! It wasn't even hard and felt like cheating. I've racked up 4,000 points in a week, where normally I'd be lucky to get a thousand. This week I got the Master Flamethrower (barely used before), Warhawk Offense, Warhawk Defense badges and Meritorious Service Medal.

As far as the fighting skills of my opponents... well, I'm an average player, 2nd leutenant and did not feel outclassed by those majors, marshalls and generals.

Just my observations....
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 am View user's profile Send private message
JJ-F1
General
General


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Location: West Hartford, Connecticut

Post Re: How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating. Reply with quote
va_bank wrote:
There has been a lot of talk over at PSU forums (and sometimes here) about people on Warhawk leaderboards. How does one have so many points? Are they all "stat padders"? My research says no.

I wanted to get a Meritorious Service medal, but only had 25 flag captures. All I ever do is fight - I rarely go for the flag. So I wanted to get 75 more flag caps without spending another 600 hours. Then I discovered Player Ranked CTF servers with no score limit. That's where I started seeing all those guys who are on top of Warhawk leaderboards. Their scores are now making perfect sense.

The secret is that once one team gains a 3-4 flag advantage, the losing teams loses momentum and morale. Those games end in scores such as 25-0 or more (most I've seen was 43-2). In one of these games I scored 15 flag captures IAR, plus killing some people. My score for the round was over 500 points after the ribbons! It wasn't even hard and felt like cheating. I've racked up 4,000 points in a week, where normally I'd be lucky to get a thousand. This week I got the Master Flamethrower (barely used before), Warhawk Offense, Warhawk Defense badges and Meritorious Service Medal.

As far as the fighting skills of my opponents... well, I'm an average player, 2nd leutenant and did not feel outclassed by those majors, marshalls and generals.

Just my observations....


I agree with you va. The whole reason I don't play in player created servers (other than the occasional MAAN server) is that I feel the rewards come to easily. I've been playing WH since lauch, and I still don't have my BANDIT Lightening Gun badge. I know that if I went into a player created server I could get it in one game. I have no doubts about that.

Having said that, it feels like cheating, but I don't think it is cheating. They are just playing the game. More power to them. It's just not for me.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Cabot500
General
General


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 211

Post Reply with quote
Yeah those games can be good if you really need a particular badge or ribbon or if you're hurting for points to close in on a rank, but I personally like fighting for my points against good competition in the official servers. If theres little or no resistance from the opposing team it's just not as fun for me - but to each their own. I must admit though, some of the badges or ribbons are near impossible to get on the Sony servers due to the default kill, zone score limit or flag capture limits.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:41 am View user's profile Send private message
va_bank
Major


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 135

Post Reply with quote
JJ,

Once you get the hang of LG it will be your favorite weapon. I can get 5 kills on any official server that has planes in it. How are you using it? Forget charging the LG, use it in pair with you machine guns. It's the greatest - a hovering warhawk will explode before they have a chance to hit the triangle button. You're a better piot then me, you just need to get a hang of the weapon. I get more kills with it now than any other air weapon.
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 am View user's profile Send private message
JJ-F1
General
General


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Location: West Hartford, Connecticut

Post Reply with quote
I was in a game on Monday night. It was a Blue server, VARI but the game I joined when first getting in was CTF in Island Outpost. After someone would grab the flag, there as a guy that would always, always say, "Hey, I'm at the home base, can you drop the flag here and let me capture it? I need three captures." I couldn't believe it! There was already one capture when I joined but for the second one, someone actually dropped it for the guy! Problem is someone else was standing near him and took it instead. Too funny. So I go ahead and grab the flag and I'm driving back to our base and he asks me the same thing. I said, "Dude, it's capture the flag, not stand around and wait for someone to bring you the flag to capture." So of course he says, "I know that, but whenever I grab it I get killed." Such a loser...So I keep driving and get killed near the tunnel from mines, as usual, so I tell the guy, "Go grab it dude, it's halfway back!" Nobody tries to recover the dropped flag, so I am actually able to respawn, fly back over there, and get the capture! Unreal.

Ok, sort of rambled there...sorry.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:54 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Cabot500
General
General


Joined: 22 Jan 2008
Posts: 211

Post Reply with quote
I don't have bandit TOW, bandit lightning, bandit cluster or bandit pistol yet Razz Do I win the prize?

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:58 am View user's profile Send private message
JJ-F1
General
General


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 525
Location: West Hartford, Connecticut

Post Reply with quote
va_bank wrote:
JJ,

Once you get the hang of LG it will be your favorite weapon. I can get 5 kills on any official server that has planes in it. How are you using it? Forget charging the LG, use it in pair with you machine guns. It's the greatest - a hovering warhawk will explode before they have a chance to hit the triangle button. You're a better piot then me, you just need to get a hang of the weapon. I get more kills with it now than any other air weapon.


Thanks va, I have tried a few times, not charged...thing is I need to approach it where I say, Fuck it, I'm just gonna use the LG...I've seen what you are talking about with the LG and MG together, I get killed like that all the time!

Cabot, I just got Bandit Cluster bomb last week! I never use them. It's a great weapon for Zones and CTF.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:02 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
RIKKI_BOY
1st Lieutenant


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post Reply with quote
I'm all for doing it the old fashioned way.

I don't really pay attention to the ribbons and awards, but that may change as I have only started playing in late December. I just ranked up from Sargeant and I did it "au natural".

I really don't think there is anything wrong with playing games just to rank up. What really counts are kills on the battle field and having a blast with the MEEN of the world.

_________________
PSN: RIKKI_BOY
I feel like a new [MAAN]
Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:12 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
KwikAg
General
General


Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Posts: 245
Location: Philadelphia Suburbs

Post Re: How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating. Reply with quote
JJ-F1 wrote:
I agree with you va. The whole reason I don't play in player created servers (other than the occasional MAAN server) is that I feel the rewards come to easily. I've been playing WH since lauch, and I still don't have my BANDIT Lightening Gun badge. I know that if I went into a player created server I could get it in one game. I have no doubts about that.


JJ- just charge that puppy up and let it rip twice during a dogfight match on some wounded duck.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
DJErikD
General
General


Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Posts: 222
Location: San Diego, CA

Post Re: How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating. Reply with quote
JJ-F1 wrote:
Having said that, it feels like cheating, but I don't think it is cheating. They are just playing the game. More power to them. It's just not for me.


Very interesting comment that reminds me of something I overheard in a MAAN-dominated game the other night. In CTF, our flag was being driven across base in a jeep. Someone got on the mic and kept telling one of the Warhawk drivers to just hover in front of the jeep and keep flipping him over to stop the flag advancement. I was very impressed when the WH driver replied, "That's not how I play the game." We eventually saved the flag using conventional methods.

I found it very interesting that there are people who have a sense of morality and fair-play, even though the game has exploitable tactics.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Zombie-007
General
General


Joined: 06 Dec 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Bloomingdale, Illinois

Post Reply with quote
I think those are cheating servers. They just mask it well.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
va_bank
Major


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 135

Post Reply with quote
I have found an easy way to deal with those. When a Warhawk starts hovering next to you sliding around on the ground

1.) Jump out of your jeep.

2.) Start tossing grenades in their general direction. If you have four to six grenades this is almost guaranteed to work.

3.) Even better, if you have a land mine, toss it between you and the hovering warhawk.

4.) Get back in your jeep and bring the flag home.
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Zombie-007
General
General


Joined: 06 Dec 2007
Posts: 426
Location: Bloomingdale, Illinois

Post Reply with quote
I think those are cheating servers. They just mask it well.

_________________
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
va_bank
Major


Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 135

Post Reply with quote
Zombie-007 wrote:
I think those are cheating servers. They just mask it well.


Depends. You may get more points, but your KDR will take a HUGE hit.
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
kennyidaho
Airman 1st Class


Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23

Post Re: How to be the top player in Warhawk without cheating. Reply with quote
DJErikD wrote:
JJ-F1 wrote:
Having said that, it feels like cheating, but I don't think it is cheating. They are just playing the game. More power to them. It's just not for me.


Very interesting comment that reminds me of something I overheard in a MAAN-dominated game the other night. In CTF, our flag was being driven across base in a jeep. Someone got on the mic and kept telling one of the Warhawk drivers to just hover in front of the jeep and keep flipping him over to stop the flag advancement. I was very impressed when the WH driver replied, "That's not how I play the game." We eventually saved the flag using conventional methods.

I found it very interesting that there are people who have a sense of morality and fair-play, even though the game has exploitable tactics.


I am confused. So your saying that attempting to stop the jeep with your warhawk, making the kill, then saving the flag is unethical (or not fair)?

It sucks when your the guy in the jeep, but there are many ways out of it. Not really unfair in my opinion. I guess we might be talking about different things, but could you describe to me what you stated to be conventional methods.
Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:    
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    *BACKUP - FOR REFERENCE ONLY* Married and Always Nagged Warhawk & COD4 Forums Forum Index » Warhawk General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to: 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Design by Freestyle XL / Flowers Online.